Home Trending One dead after Christmas Eve shootout at packed North Carolina shopping mall

One dead after Christmas Eve shootout at packed North Carolina shopping mall


Long-running feud sparked fight where gun was drawn and shots fired, say police, with officer shooting and killing a man who pointed firearm towards him

A long-standing dispute led to gunshots at a crowded North Carolina shopping mall on Christmas Eve, police said, with an off-duty officer responding and fatally shooting a man who pointed a gun in his direction.

Police said no one else was shot and there were no other reports of injuries. The shooting was not a random act but rather the result of a feud among people who knew each other, though there was no indication it was gang-related, said Chief Kerr Putney of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department.

During the fight a weapon was brandished and shots were fired about 2pm at Northlake Mall in Charlotte, Putney said. Shoppers who were crowding the mall for last-minute gifts hid in stores and locked themselves inside, officials said. Police blocked mall entrances.

Jake Wallace, 24, of Boone, North Carolina, was in Dicks Sporting Goods when shots rang out nearby about 30 feet outside the store, near Journeys shoe store on the lower level, according to police.

I thought someone dropped something. It was extremely loud. Didnt think anything of it, Wallace said. You dont think gunshots. But then I heard a rapid fire. Once hearing that, there was no mistaking it. It sounded like someone was unloading a clip.

Chaos erupted as shoppers dove for cover or tried to get out the door, Wallace said.

Don Willis, who works as a valet at the mall, said he heard gunshots, then saw a wave of people exiting the mall.

It was wild. I heard the first shot and I thought, Wait. What was that? And kind of like started turning around and walking and saw this huge line of people wave of people coming and I thought a bomb was about to go off, and I just took off, he said.

Putney said Officer Thomas Ferguson was working off-duty at the mall when he heard the shots and confronted the man who pointed a gun towards him.

The officer then fired his service weapon, Putney said. The suspect was given emergency aid but medics pronounced him dead shortly afterwards, officials said. Police identified him as Daquan Antonio Westbrook, 18.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/25/one-dead-after-christmas-eve-shootout-at-packed-north-carolina-shopping-mall